Do you think about how great it will be to lose that weight?
How good it will feel to fit into those clothes you’ve been wanting to fit into?
How wonderful it will be to break free from a habit that has been plaguing you for years?
Or do you instead wake up and think, Oh no, another day of depriving myself? If only I could eat what I want today, life would be so much better!
I’m afraid I usually focus on how crummy life is because I have to deprive myself.
It occurred to me that losing weight would be so much easier if we developed a thankful attitude about the process.
Here is a list of 10 things I thought we could be thankful for when we’re trying to lose weight (If you’d like more help with weight loss, check out Taste for Truth: A Weight Loss Bible Study):
10 Things to Thank God For When We’re Trying to Lose Weight
- That we get to eat so much. (We would be eating less if we lived in many parts of the world.)
- That we’re on our way to a healthier lifestyle.
- That we aren’t bingeing.
- That this will help us break free from the habit of turning to food rather than God for help with life.
- That we can wake up tomorrow and feel great about what we ate today.
- That we will be able to fit into those skinnier clothes soon.
- That we’re breaking free from an overeating habit that has made us miserable for a long time.
- That we’ll have more energy when we lose this weight.
- For each bite we get to eat today and how great it tastes.
- For how wonderful it will be to break free from the control of food.
P.S. I am currently out of Freedom from Emotional Eating books but hope to have it available again in a few weeks. I will also try to get it out on Kindle by mid-April.
Discussion: Can you think of any other reasons to thank God when you’re trying to lose weight (or break some other habit)?