How do you hold onto your faith when it seems like God has disappeared? Whether in struggle, illness, death, or failure, the presence of pain is often so overwhelming it can drown out God’s voice. On today’s episode of the Christian Habits Podcast, I visit with Michele Cushatt who offers hope and faith for times when life is so hard we can’t always feel God’s presence.
A three-time head and neck cancer survivor, Michele is a (reluctant) expert of trauma, pain and the deep human need for authentic connection. Michele shares her story on the podcast and also helps us with the following questions:
- Why doesn’t God take away the pain?
- What do you do on the days when the emotional and/or physical pain feels devastating?
- How do you deal with the doubts about your faith that often accompany relentless pain?
- How do you deal with the fairness issue–when it seems like everyone else has great lives and you’re stuck with this hard life?
- What final advice do you have for the person who is suffering?
Relentless, by Michele Cushatt
Michele also discusses these questions and more in her new book, Relentless: The Unshakeable Presence of a God Who Never Leaves. Like the Old Testament story of Joshua’s altar of twelve stones, Relentless delivers twelve key biblical stories that demonstrate God’s unfailing presence.
Each chapter offers an invitation to identify a “stone” in your own life as tangible evidence of God’s nearness. With the turn of the last page, you will have discovered twelve markers of your own, an altar of memory to carry you through questions and losses, even ones yet to come.
Where to Find Michele Cushatt Online
How to Listen to the Christian Habits Podcast:
- To listen and subscribe on Apple Podcasts: click here
- To listen and subscribe on Android: click here
- To listen and subscribe on Stitcher: click here
- To listen and subscribe on Google Play: click here