Do you ever feel like you’d like to be closer to God but it doesn’t seem to be happening? In this episode of the Christian Habits Podcast, we’ll talk about 7 different ways to get closer to God.
I’ll share my own story of the ups and downs in my relationship with God, including some of the things I did that hurt our relationship and some of the things that helped.
Here are the 7 ways to get closer to God that we’ll be talking about in the podcast:
7 Ways to Get Closer to God
We’ll go more into depth in the podcast, I wanted to include some of the resources below that we talked about on the podcast.
- Find something you enjoy doing with Him. Some of the ideas we talk about on the podcast are truth journaling, Scripture meditation, the Examen app, topical Bible studies, and any of these renewing of the mind activities.
- Meet with God each day during the time of day that you’re most alert. If you struggle with discipline in quiet times like I did for twenty years, try journaling through these questions and Bible verses.
- Do a “closeness check” at the beginning of your time together. We’ll talk more about the reasons for not feeling close (sin, idolatry, and not accepting what you need to accept) in the podcast and what you can do about it.
- Believe that He loves you. These Bible verses will help: Insecurity Bible verses, 1 John 1:9.
- Work on letting go of your idols and sin. Here are a couple of posts/blog series that will help: How to Break Free from Idolatry and How to Break a Habit.
- Carve out a weekly (Sabbath) and/or monthly “date time” with Him.
- Be thankful. This post has some verses to help with that!