I don’t know about you, but when life is hard, I’m often tempted to do things that aren’t good for me. Eat, for example. Or waste time on my phone. Or sit like a lump on the couch and think of all the things that could possibly go wrong and how my life will be even worse in the future.
What I don’t normally do is run to God for refuge and strength and perspective. At least not first thing. When I do get around to that, I feel about a million times better. My problems don’t seem as huge through the lens of Scripture, and I feel much better soaking in God’s love and protection.
In today’s episode of the Christian Habits Podcast (links below), I talk about three temptations we face when life is hard and three solutions for each temptation. I got the idea for the episode from one of my quiet times a couple of weeks ago.
I was reading about the temptation of Jesus in Matthew 4, and it made me think about how Jesus responded to His trials and how often we are tempted to respond to our own trials. I’ll include a picture of the notes I made in my Bible below. (I don’t usually draw lines through the Scripture in my Bible, but I was out of room!)
If you’re going through something hard right now, I hope this podcast episode helps you!
What I Discussed on the Podcast
- How we face all kinds of different trials in our lives
- What we are often tempted to do in response to hard times
- The distractions that we often turn to
- Examples of hard seasons from my own life
- Solutions to the temptations we face in challenging times
- Scriptures that I reference – Deut. 6:16, James 1:2-4, Gal. 5:22-23, Ps. 27:13
Resources Talked About on the Podcast
- Free Bible studies on my website
- Freedom from Emotional Eating
- Rally: A Personal Growth Bible Study
- My newest book Say Goodbye to Emotional Eating
- Pre-Order Bonuses for my new book! Order by October 31st to take advantage of these.
How to Listen to the Podcast
- To listen or subscribe on Google Podcasts: click here
- To listen or subscribe on Apple Podcasts: click here
- To listen or subscribe on Android: click here
- To listen or subscribe on Stitcher: click here
- To listen or subscribe on Spotify: click here
- Amazon Alexa: To listen on Amazon Alexa, say, “Alexa, play the Christian Habits Podcast.”