Do you feel hopeless that you’ll ever be able to get over your food addiction? Have you had success with weight loss in the past only to find yourself back at the same (or higher) weight again? If either of these describe you, you’ll be encouraged by my interview with Debbie on today’s Taste for Truth Podcast (links below). Through truth journaling and renewing her mind, Debbie went from a size 28 to a size 12 and has been living in victory for over six years!
In this interview, Debbie and I go through many of the lies that she has had to overcome in her journey. I’ve listed some of these below along with their corresponding truths.
Debbie’s List of Lies & Truths
1. You’ll never be good enough.
- Truth: You don’t have to be good enough, Jesus is.
2. You’ll never be accepted.
- Truth: Jesus accepts you as you are, and honestly, most other people also accept you as you are!
3. Food has to taste good.
- Truth: Food has to be good for me and nourish my body.
4. It’s not fair.
- Truth: It’s an opportunity to grow closer to God.
- Truth: Everyone has something that they struggle with.
5. More is better.
- Truth: Less is better for me because I feel better.
6. Truth Journaling won’t work unless I do it perfectly.
- Truth: There is no such thing as perfect.
- Truth: Mistakes are part of learning.
7. You’re a failure.
- Truth: I’m not a failure! Mistakes are part of learning.
8. I can’t do this.
- Truth: God can, and I am depending on His strength to change me.
Debbie’s Before & After Pictures
What We Discussed on the Podcast
- How eating was a numbing drug for Debbie
- How an “all-or-nothing” or perfectionist personality plays into weight loss efforts
- Deep insecurity from years of being overweight
- Learning to forgive culture for not accepting people who are overweight
- How Debbie truth-journaled about body image before actually journaling about food
- “I didn’t know how important the truth was until it set me free.”
- Learning to listen when we bring our lies and our thoughts before God
- Truth journaling to get rid of mental commotion
- Debbie’s four big takeaways from her weight-loss journey
- Grace over guilt
Resources Mentioned on the Podcast
Listen to the Podcast
- Google: Click here to subscribe or listen on Google Podcasts.
- Stitcher: Click here to subscribe or listen on Stitcher.
- Apple Podcasts: Click here to subscribe or listen on Apple Podcasts. (If you haven’t subscribed to the podcast on Apple, this can sometimes take a few hours to update.)
- Android: Click here to subscribe or listen on Android.
- Spotify: Click here to subscribe or listen on Spotify.
- Amazon Alexa: To listen on Amazon Alexa, say, “Alexa, play the Taste for Truth Podcast.”