Do you wonder if there really are secrets to self-control? Do you feel like you’re stuck and just need to live with it? In today’s episode of the Christian Habits Podcast, Secrets to Self-Control with Drew Dyck, I visit with Drew about his book, Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science.
Drew gives us some great tips on how to preserve willpower and strengthen self-control even after failing at it over and over again. You’ll find hope for the battle and practical help for the day.
Drew Dyck is an acquisitions editor at Moody Publishers and a contributing editor at CTPastors.com, a Christianity Today publication for church leaders. He is the author of three books: Generation Ex-Christian: Why Young Adults Are Leaving the Church…and how to Bring Them Back, Yawning at Tigers: You Can’t Tame God, So Stop Trying, and Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science. His work has appeared in numerous publications, including USA Today, CNN.com, The Huffington Post, Christianity Today, Books & Culture, and Relevant Magazine.
Things We Talked About on the Podcast
- What got Drew into writing about self-control
- How to strengthen and grow your self-control and your willpower
- What to do when your willpower is depleted
- How to creating bright lines can help with self-control
- Do we really need self-control as Christians?
- How to gain self-control with our phones
- Setting boundaries with phone usage
- Drew’s advice for the person who keeps failing at strengthening their self-control
“If you wallow in that guilt and you just beat yourself up, what follows is actually more bad behavior; so you need to internalize that grace, cut yourself some slack, forgive yourself, and move on from there.” – Drew Dyck
“The key is to strive, but to strive with God’s Spirit, instead of against God’s Spirit.” – Drew Dyck
Resources We Talked About on the Podcast
- Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science (A Guide for Sinners, Quitters, and Procrastinators) by Drew Dyck
- Generation Ex-Christian: Why Young Adults Are Leaving the Church…and how to Bring Them Back by Drew Dyck
- Yawning at Tigers: You Can’t Tame God, So Stop Trying by Drew Dyck
How to Listen to the Podcast
- To listen or subscribe on Apple Podcasts: click here
- To listen or subscribe on Android: click here
- To listen or subscribe on Stitcher: click here
- To listen or subscribe on Google Play: click here
- To listen or subscribe on Spotify: click here
- Amazon Alexa: To listen on Amazon Alexa, say, “Alexa, play the Christian Habits Podcast.”
Connect with Drew Dyck