Do you ever get discouraged with your blog or ministry? Does it sometimes seem like a thankless pursuit? Lots of work and little reward? If so, I hope this Bible study will encourage you. When ministry is hard, it helps to get a biblical perspective.
Ministry Bible Study
1. Read Mark 10:17-22. How did Jesus respond to the potential disciple in verse 21 and what did He tell him?
2. Read Mark 10:32-34. What did Jesus tell his disciples in this passage?
3. Read Mark 10:42-45. What did Jesus tell His disciples in this passage?
4. Now back up and read Mark 10:35-37. Do you think James and John had the same view of ministry Jesus had? If not, how was it different?
5. Now think of your own ministry or blog. Do you ever feel like you shouldn’t have to serve? If so, why do you think you feel that way?
6. Why do you think Jesus didn’t get mad at James and John for wanting to be great? (See also Hebrews 4:15-16 and Matthew 4:1-11.)
7. Think of your own ministry or blog. Are you ever tempted to make it about being great rather than about serving the ones you’re ministering to? If so, why do you think you do that? (Spend some time thinking about this – why do you want to be great?)
8. Read the following verses and record who you are and how God feels about you (if you have I Deserve a Donut these are in the insecurity section):
9. Are those verses true about you even if you’re not “successful” in ministry and/or life?
10. When you think of how much God loves you, how does it make you want to approach ministry?
I’ve copied and pasted this post so I can spend quality time going through the scriptures and journaling.
Thank you for this resource. I’m very excited.
Loren Pinilis says
This is great. To me, it’s all about obedience and gratitude. It’s all an act of worship and obedience to the stewardships that God has given me. It’s too easy to make an idol of acceptance, but I hope to battle that impulse.
I like what you said about obedience, worship, and gratitude, Loren. When I first started writing, I didn’t really know if God wanted me to write or not. But I was so thankful for what He’d done in my life that I wanted to help others. But then when I started blogging again this second time around I’ve had to fight to have that attitude. The whole platform building idea has gotten in the way for me. The study I’ve done on ministry over the last week has made a huge difference.
Just finished going through the Bible study and looking up the scriptures and journaling!
Amazing. Thank you so much. Very enlightening. The scriptures were great- good job!
Everyone should go through this Bible Study, it’s very eye opening. Eph 2:10 spoke to me about the Big job I am created to do. I am IN Christ. Christ had a big job to do and so do I. I was created for a certain purpose but it’s up to me to embrace it and live it.
Though I am still struggling with time management! Can’t seem to figure that one out. I think I’ve hit a brick wall I can’t seem to see around. Praying the blinders will be removed.
So glad it helped, TC – my last week of study on the passages in the Bible that talk about ministry have impacted me more with my blogging struggles than anything else so far. I’m feeling pretty free this week!
Ngina Otiende says
Right now, am up at 2am, catching up on some work because I’ve been running up and down the whole week on a family emergency. At some point, i was telling God “you know, i cannot handle being this busy AND blogging and writing at the same time.” i felt as though God quietly said “I’ll make it all work out, don’t worry about how you are going to make it work”. it all comes back to “it’s My (God’s) message, I know how to get it where I want it to go. You just need to obey’.
(I have not been able to go through all the verses but I needed to read 1 peter 2;9-10).
I was up at 2 am too last night, Ngina – we should have visited! Sorry things are so stressful right now, especially since a family emergency is fueling the stress. I hope things get better soon! I posted some end-of-the-day stress questions and Bible verses awhile back that help me when I’m stressed. Not sure I can put a link in the comments, but if it doesn’t work you can find them by clicking on the questions category at the right of my blog. Here’s a link if it works: https://barbraveling.com/2012/06/18/seven-questions-that-will-help-you-let-go-of-stress/
Kari Scare says
Good job with this study. Was tempted just this week again to alter content for the wrong reasons, my gain and not His glory. Am back in check now. So glad for His spirit to keep me focused.
I’m often tempted that way too, Kari – I’m hoping to one day not be tempted by that! Would love to have God’s perspective on blogging as an ongoing thing rather than one I have to fight for each day! I believe that will happen some day if I keep bringing myself back to the Bible whenever I’m tempted.
Karen Foster says
Have you heard about the stones that Jesus asked Peter and John to pick up and carry?
I hadn’t heard of it, but I just googled it – interesting! Who are we doing ministry for? Jesus or ourselves? Always a good thing to ask. That was an interesting story – thanks for bringing it up. It makes me think it’s always better to do what God wants me to do regardless of the consequences or the rewards.