Do you ever feel like you have to be skinny? I used to feel that way. Weight was that one thing in life I could never control. And because I felt like I had to be skinny, I made “losing weight” more important than God wanted me to make it.
For some of you, I know this study is just a helpful encouragement. But for others, it’s more than that. You feel like you have to lose weight. Not just for your health, but for your overall state of acceptability and enjoyment of life.
The Danger of Focusing on Weight Loss
This is a dangerous attitude for two reasons: First, it hurts your relationship with God. God asks us to give up everything for Him. Including skinny. When we say, “I have to lose weight to be happy,” we’re essentially saying, “You’re not enough, God. I need more.”
Second, it makes us give up on our eating plans. Here’s why: The minute we break our boundaries in a major way, we think, “I might as well give up and eat. I’m never going to lose weight, anyway.” We think that because it’s all about losing weight for us.
If we look at this as a spiritual journey, it won’t be such a big deal if we eat too much. We’ll just renew our minds and move on.
“I Have to Be Skinny” Eating Bible Study
- Why do you want to lose weight?
- Do you feel like you have to be skinny to be acceptable? If so, why?
- Is there any particular person in your life you feel like you have to be skinny for? If so, answer the following questions for each person on your list. (Answer them for the general public if you feel like you have to be skinny for everyone.)
- Is that person an accepting, positive, encouraging person by nature?
- Does that person value the same things you value? Explain.
- Given this person’s personality and priorities, is it realistic to expect him or her to be positive and supportive of you no matter what you weigh? (Note: I’m not asking if it’s right or wrong, I’m asking if it’s realistic.)
- Is there anything you need to accept regarding this person?
- Do you think God wants you to lose weight? Why or why not?
- Think back to why you want to lose weight. Are God’s priorities different than your priorities? Explain.
- Will God still love you if you don’t lose weight? (You better say yes on this one!)
- Is He enough to satisfy you even if everyone else rejects you?
- If you are a child of God through faith, how does He see you and how does He feel about you? (Note: If you have the iPhone app or I Deserve a Donut (And Other Lies That Make You Eat), all but one of these verses are in the insecurity Bible verse section.)
- What will happen if you try to “fill yourself up” with being skinny? (Jeremiah 2:13)
- How do you think God wants you to approach weight loss?
P.S. If you’d like more Bible studies on letting go of the skinny idol, check out Taste for Truth: A 30 Day Weight Loss Bible Study.
P.P. S I don’t have any specific questions for appearance eating on the iPhone app, but you can use these resources if you’d like to renew your mind: Insecurity Bible Verses. Feeling Rejected and Condemned Questions. Discontentment Bible Verses and Questions.