I said I was going to end this blogging series with journal entries but I’m having a terrible time choosing the entries. So I thought I’d just do two or three posts with snippets of entries. Here goes.
|My View||God’s View|
|I need to quit this blog.||God: Really?|
|No one likes it.||I like it. Let it point people to Me.|
|I’m a horrible writer.||But you’re good at truth.|
|I’m making a fool of myself.||I ask people to do that for me.|
|Everyone hates this blog and hates me.||You know that’s not true, Barb.|
|This is futile. Why should I bother?||To love the ones I’ve given you to love.|
God’s Rules of Blogging
- Spend time with me first so you have something to write – and by time, I mean lots of time.
- Spend time praying so you know what I want you to write and so I can empower you to write.
- Don’t worry about the stats. I love you! Isn’t our fellowship worth it even without people watching? Let this be an intimate journey with me – not a sign of who you are or how acceptable you are.
- Make a priority of relationships so you don’t depend on your blog for that.
- Embrace your bottom dogness. Glory in your high position in Christ. (James 1:9)
Barb’s Rules of Blogging
- Don’t start UNLESS you have a plan!! I mean it!!!
- By plan, I mean an intro, a closing, 3 points, and an idea of what will go under each point.
- After you have the plan – write. Don’t stop. Period. Force yourself to keep going no matter how terrible it is.
- Then – don’t look at it again until the next day! I mean it!!!
Jesus didn’t try to make his message attractive so the masses would love Him. He spoke the truth. The truth will do one of two things: It will either set people free or make them mad.
No wonder I haven’t felt the presence of the Holy Spirit when I’m writing – it’s because I’ve been following platform and not Jesus.
2016 Update: It’s now almost four years later, and I’m glad I didn’t quit blogging! I’ve published three books since this blog post, including the Renewing of the Mind Project, which is filled with the questions and Bible verses I use to renew my mind when I can’t make myself write, feel discouraged by writing, or anything else writing-related. If you struggle with discouragement, procrastination, insecurity, or fear of failure with writing, I’d encourage you to give it a try. God can use your blog for good in your own life and the life of others! If you’d like some free resources, check out the Renewing of the Mind Tools tab for all kinds of posts on different ways to renew your mind. If you’d like to see more journal entries, click on the links below.