I’ve been feeling that way a lot lately. Between the i-phone app, various writing projects, and regular life, I’m feeling overwhelmed.
Too often I handle the stress by continuing to work long after it’s time to quit for the day. That’s why I wrote the following questions – because I needed them!
Note: These questions and Bible verses are from the I Deserve a Donut iPhone app.
Stress: End of the Work Day Questions
- What did you accomplish today? (Be specific.)
- Were you able to complete everything on your list?
- Yes: If so, why are you still feeling stressed?
- No: If not, what didn’t you finish and why didn’t you finish it? (Be specific.)
- Do you have a legitimate reason for not finishing everything on your list?
- Yes: If so, can you realistically expect to always accomplish everything on your list? Why or why not?
- No: Given your personality and past experience, is it surprising you didn’t finish everything on your list? Are you remembering that you’re a work in progress, or are you expecting yourself to be perfect right away?
- Since you can’t change what’s been done or not done, what do you think God wants you to do now?
- Keep working in a frenzy, knowing that it’s essential to finish your list.
- Keep working in peace, knowing that life is about God, not your list.
- Quit working, but spend the rest of the night thinking about what you didn’t get done.
- Quit working, forget about the list, and remember that life is about God, not your list.
- How do you think God wants you to spend the rest of your time today?
- Is there anything you need to trust Him with?
- Is there anything you need to accept or let go of?
Psalm 63:7-8 When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches, for You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy. My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.
Isaiah 26:3 The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in you.
Matthew 11:28 Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
Luke 10:41-42But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
2 Corinthians 12:9 And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Questions: What do you do to let go of stress either during the day or at the end of the day? How do you keep your mind focused on God when life is incredibly busy?